CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Monday, January 21, 2008

that's my boy

This weekend Drew's 2nd grade Wildcat team faced the undefeated Petrolia Pirates. The Pirates were 4-0 with victories of 35-11, 48-6, 30-10, and a forfeit. We went in short-handed with only 5 boys there for the game. We trailed the entire game with a half-time score of 8-11, and were behind by as much as 7 points. After a couple of steals and fast break points near the end, we entered the final seconds down 13-14. Drew drives to the basket and is fouled on the floor with 13 seconds left. He is shooting 1 and 1 free throws. Before shooting, and without instruction, he "huddles" his team together and instructs them on the importance of getting this rebound. He hits the first one to tie the game up at 14. Then, he misses the second one, but gets his own rebound and puts in for the 16-14 victory. I don't think I said a word during those final seconds of the game...I simply watched in awe as Drew coached the team from the floor to victory, and at that point, I'm not sure if I cared that much about them winning except to see him get what he was working so hard for. As the final buzzer went off, he ran off the court and dove into my arms for a second time (the first coming as we beat Holliday in football with a goal line stand and he was in at cornerback). K, just had to share that proud moment...

1 comments:

ishadohn said...

Yeah...and as a Mother who doesn't yell at games I was Yelling when he made that last shot! lol I know my excitment got the best of me. what can I say? Was a very intense game...and I loved watching him lead!