CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Monday, February 18, 2008

Callin' the Play

This week, Drew's team was playing a 5-3 that should have been a pretty easy win, but for several reasons, we struggled. First of all, one of my players showed up after the game started and it messed the rotation I had set up. That led to two of my best players sitting at the same time for the third quarter. We lost our lead in that quarter and went into the 4th quarter tied up 8-8. Their best player started the quarter with 4 fouls. I told Drew to steal the ball and go down to shoot, but don't take the shot because I knew that kid would foul him. He did just that...stole the ball and paused at the other end for a second and let that kid foul him. They called it on the ground, so he didn't get the free throws I was wanting, so we played on. Still tied with about a minute left, I called timeout and drew up a play. I had been sending the high post, Corben, to go screen for Drew going with a pick-n-roll. They were covering that now. I had sent my wing as well, Morgan, on the last play to do a double screen that had resulted in a missed layup by that dork of a son of mine, so I knew their coach was preparing them for that now too. I had Corben come screen for Drew, and Morgan to act like he was going to go screen as well, but instead just take one step towards Drew and then break to the basket. Drew was to hit him cutting to the basket as he himself came off Corben's screen. Morgan's dad was sitting with his wife at the scorer's table where she was keeping the books, and he heard the play explained to the boys. The play was executed to perfection and Morgan scored the basket to put us ahead for good. Drew hit one more shot to finish the game 12-8.

I was excited for them, but Morgan's dad mentioned to me how much more exciting it is to actually hear the play explained and watch it carried out to perfection for the win. That must be how it is with God. He has a plan for our lives. It is a perfect plan for us to win in life. It must be exciting in heaven as the angels hear God call a plan for us, and then to watch us carry it out and succeed. Also, it must be heart-breaking to watch us stumble and make a mistake that messes it up, and even more frustrating to watch us deliberately go out and do something different from what He's drawn up for us to do. I guess just as bad, we can stand in the huddle and not even listen to the instructions, and just be totally lost when step onto the floor.

I probably have more to prove as a guy trying to coach this team, but I truly feel like my interest lies in seeing the boys faces as they win games. But, I'm sure I get a little pride and self-seeking in the process somewhere as well. Well, God has nothing but our interest in mind as he coaches us and draws up the plays for our lives. We need to listen, prepare, and execute those plays the best we can. I want to picture those in heaven clinching their fists and yelling, "YES!" as they see me do what God wants me to do and succeeding because of it. And, that all starts with me listening to the perfect coach of life, and preparing to do what I'm told.

0 comments: